[AT] A CHALLENGE - - Can you name the first three tractors you drove?

Moseley, Richard rickmoseley at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Dec 17 12:06:51 PST 2009

The first tractor I ever drove was a 8N.  A friend of mine and I were working for his uncle hauling creosoted fence posts from the barn out to where fence was being built.  Learned a lot about creosote too.  Must have been 14-15.

Later, we used a farmall 560 to pull hay wagons when we hauled hay for that same uncle of his.

And when I was in college I worked for a pipeline company mowing right of way with a Ford 3400.  First time I used a tractor for something other than pulling a trailer.

First tractor I actually owned was a barely running Super A.  Once I got it warmed up good the engine block started 'sweating' in several places revealing the numerous small cracks.  That one is now dismantled waiting for the new block to be installed.  I've had the replacement block about 6 years and have been waiting for the time.  Maybe my retirement next March will provide the time.

The Super A was followed by a Cub, then another Cub, then a Farmall B, then a Farmall C, another Cub, farmall H, Case 500 (in kit form), Oliver 55 (another 'kit') and most recently a Farmall 656.  When I see it in writing like that it looks like some sort of disease or at least a rust addiction.

Rick Moseley
Austin