[AT] A CHALLENGE - - Can you name the first three tractors you drove?

ndg1952 at wmconnect.com ndg1952 at wmconnect.com
Tue Dec 15 16:29:06 PST 2009

The first tractor I drove was a 1965 Ford 3000.  I was 5 years old and out
with dad gathering square hay bales out of the field.  Mom usually drove
while he loaded the bales, but for some reason she couldn't help that day.  He
must have gotten tired of getting on and off the tractor to move the wagon.
He got the tractor going in low gear, and then hopped off and let me steer.
It had power steering, so I had no trouble guiding it.  My legs were no
where near long enough to reach the pedals (I probably couldn't have pushed
them if they were) so whenever I needed to stop, I had to pull the shut down
knob to stop the engine.

The second tractor would have been our 8n Ford, probably a couple of years
later.  I think by then I was old enough to actually drive alone.  They were
the only two tractors we had on the farm at the time.  The third tractor I
drove would have been a D-17 AC of my uncle's.

I started collecting antiques in 1994 when I was 21.  I had been looking
for an old tractor and a guy I worked with told me about a Fordson F sitting
in the weeds.  I bought and restored it.  Now, ten Fordsons later, I am still
addicted.

Nathan
Penn Laird, VA</HTML>