[AT] Old trains/now NC State foolishness

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Dec 9 06:07:56 PST 2009

I didn't comment on the water fights because I didn't participate and to be
honest thought  they were pretty childish.  However, they were an every year
thing on ... did they call it reading day?.... the day off prior to exams.
Basically every water faucet in every dorm room in Lee Bragaw and Sullivan
dorms were open all day long.  Folks dropping water ballons off the 13 th
floor of Sullivan.  I saw one hit a kid on the shoulder and knock him flat
on the ground.  You couldn't get to or leave your dorm room without getting
wet.

About the time I left State they made Lee dorm Co-Ed.  Meaning that they put
girls on a couple of floors.  In 1969 there were roughly 15,000 on campus
students and less than 1000 of them were female so the ladies were pretty
well respected.  Someone in the student gov't figured that out and the
decision was made to make Lee CoEd.  That pretty much ended the water wars
for the immediate future.  I don't know what happened later in the early
70's.

As for the Great panty raid (there were others but one huge one)  I didn't
even know about it until it was over.
I was in the Cat's Eye (night club) down at 5 points listening to Billy
Stewart sing the blues and opening some shim stock.  The basketball great
Tommy Burleson was in there that night too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxEcFWHfjYA

Charlie