[AT] Old trains

David Bruce davidbruce at yadtel.net
Mon Dec 7 00:16:58 PST 2009

At the risk of adding to the boredom -

During my time at dear old MOO U (mid to late 70's) I lived on central
campus.  My freshman year a suitemate brought his RC plane out for a run
one day.
We went to the intermural fields and he launched the plane.  Lost
communication and the plane was last seen heading back toward the
dorms.  We found the remains between Owen and Turlington.  It had flown
directly into a metal light pole and was totally demolished. Later in
the year he was making hot air balloons from dry cleaning bags with an
aluminum pie plate suspended below to contain alcohol soaked cotton
balls.  He would light the cotton balls and that provided the hot air.
All was well and good until one of the balloons landed on the roof of
the bookstore.  The Raleigh fire department responded.  Nothing bad
happened - except to him.

David
NW NC