[AT] Old trains

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Dec 6 09:17:38 PST 2009

Al, I'm not sure if I've told this on the list before or not but I'll risk
boring everyone with it one more time.

When I was at NC State my sophmore year I was living in Sullivan Dorm, as
you well know the baseball field is just off the end of the dorm.  A lot of
the Aero engineering students were in those days (I suspect still are) into
building RC airplanes.  However, in 1969 the "state of the art" isn't where
it is today.   This one kid had his RC which was close to 2' wing span and
completely homebuilt including the controller out on the baseball field and
was doing a fine job of flying it around.  Several of us had stopped to
watch when the train came by headed west out of town.   Well, all of a
sudden the plane stopped responding to his controller and took off following
the train.  The last time I saw the thing it was down behind the train
headed on down towards the fair grounds and the poor boy was running around
not unlike the little fellow on Fantacy Island yelling MY PLANE, MY PLANE!

Charlie Hill