[Farmall] Farmall not starting---still!

ebony51 at frontiernet.net ebony51 at frontiernet.net
Mon Aug 3 11:51:59 PDT 2009

John.  Sorry, I meant .020.   Yep, pretty sure I did it at the top of the exhaust stroke.  I could feel the air pushing out when my finger over the # spark plug hole.  Plus, I checked with the timing mark on the flywheel on the A.

Now, I took the ballast resister in and check at the local Advance Auto, and it is resisting at 1.5 ohms.  I assume that means it is working.

The old condenser in the magneto is bad, according to the service manager at Case-IH when he tested it.

So from the ballast resister with the switch on it is feeding 12 volts to the coil and then from the coil it is feeding 12 volts to the points, with the points open.

I am back to thinking there is a short somewhere.  Perhaps the condenser is shorting but I do not understand.  There is a screw and little clip in the back of the condenser on the engine side that I assume is there to hold the condenser steady.  I do not know why that would not short it out since it is a connection to the body of the condenser.

On the nonengine side, the condenser has a screw end that feeds through a piece of Bakelite to the outside.  I assume the Bakelite is an insulator.  Maybe the wire going from the screw end of the condenser to the base of the points is shorted, but I am getting juice at the points with the point open.  And, to make try to make sure this wire was not shorting, I added some elelectrical tape around it (in addition to its insulation) where it connects to the condenser.

Now will the new condenser for a magneto work with this set up?  That is 12 volts feeding to the points via the condenser.

Well, color me confused, but I hope some of this information means something to someone.

It has to be something!!

Larry H.