[Farmall] Farmall not starting---still!

dan-0001 at comcast.net dan-0001 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 3 10:49:49 PDT 2009

If you have no current flow the voltage will match the source assuming a  high impedance meter. The only way the resistor exactly divides the voltage is when the resistor and coil have the same resistance. The resistor will limit the current when the points close and the voltage will be   Vbatt*coil resistance/ (Coil resistance + Resistor resistance) .Ohms law.  I suspect the resistor value was selected more to limit current than exactly make 6V. I believe the difference in 6V & 12 volt coils is wire size. Smaller wire means you can get more turns on the primary in the same amount of space so you get the same secondary voltage with 1/2 the current. But also more heat due to wire resistance.

You should check to see you have voltage on the open set of points (12 v)  and  0 volts on the coil (-) when the points are closed.

I think you should be able to make a spark by touching a wire from the coil negative to ground this would permit checking with out cranking the engine.I have not tried this but it should work.

 I would not assume because the starter is grounded that rest of the system has a good ground. On the H the ground goes to a bolt on the starter. The ground for the block goes through the bolt. It's possible the 2 can be different. I'm not sure how yours is connected but a good cleaning is quick and can't hurt.

Just my thoughts

Danny