[AT] Horrible harvesting conditions.

David Bruce davidbruce at yadtel.net
Tue Nov 25 04:57:30 PST 2008

My story is on a different scale.
As a youth I hired out to harvest tobacco for various local farmers
(hard work, decent money for a summer job and plenty of work).
The worst day was late in the harvest season, just before school was to
start so the farmer really needed to get the last of the crop in the
barn before most of his help wasn't available. We spent most of a late
August day slogging through mud in a total downpour.
That sort of thing doesn't happen here now with the change in the
business.  Less labor used, most leaf is picked with harvesters and now
you are more likely to see farmers riding the harvester the day before
the first frost to finish up the harvest.

David
NW NC