[AT] Horrible harvesting conditions.

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Nov 25 08:07:23 PST 2008

Ralph, rain pretty much stops the combines here too.  I was talking about
tobacco which, in those days, was harvested by pulling the leaves off by
hand.  Tobacco is perishable in that you have to get it off the plant and in
the curing barn when it is ripe or it will go bad.  Imagine the leaves on
the trees in your yard.  It's too soon to pick them when they are green and
too late to pick them when they are brown.  You have to do it when they turn
yellow.
The tobacco leaves start to turn from the bottom of the plant up.  Each week
you have to take 2 to 4 leaves off of the plant.  That first week you spend
the entire day bent over double pulling the "sand lugs".  Each week it gets
a bit easier.  It's about a 6 week process.

Some folks still harvest by hand but most now use mechanical harvesters.
Some even use chemicals to make all of the tobacco turn "ripe" at once and
pull all the leaves with a "once over" machine.

Some of the other guys will have to explain the Burley tobacco process.  All
I know is eastern belt, golden leaf, flue cured.

Back to the combines.  I guess you can pick corn in a light rain but the
humidity is so high in these parts that if it's raining the moisture in the
corn is too high.

Charlie