[AT] Horrible harvesting conditions.

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Nov 24 20:33:49 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hall" <jthall at worldnet.att.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 7:26 PM
Subject: [AT] Horrible harvesting conditions.

> Idea for a new thread--whats the worst conditions you ever worked in to
> harvest a crop. Hot, cold, wet, dry, dusty, storm damaged etc. I know
> there
> are crop conditions that are not bad using modern equipment but with some
> of
> the older stuff I am sure it was a challenge.

John, aside from the cold conditions I mentioned in the harvest of 69, my
Dad always talked about how hard the crop of 66 was to harvest. We had early
wet snowfall in September that pretty well laid all the crops flat to the
ground. A lot of one way combining was done that year. Also a lot of pickup
guards or crop lifters were sold. Stories of bent headers and rocks through
the combine were told.
I'm having a hard time remembering anything that bad from my harvesting
days. I did put in 5 years without a cab on the tractor harvesting with the
Case 460 pull type combine. More than the weather conditions, that combine
itself was a test of my endurance and patience.

Ralph in Sask.