[AT] Horrible harvesting conditions.

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Nov 25 05:25:26 PST 2008

My worst experiences weren't from cold but rain.  When I was just old enough
to keep an Allis B straight in the row we had a rainy spell one year during
tobacco harvest.
I guess it must have been rain from a near by huricane or something but I
don't remember.  I just remember that it rained hard all day long for days
and we were all out in it all day long.  I guess I was 6 or 7.  I can
remember my fingers being all wrinkled up and how we would all hold our
hands near or over the exhaust pipe of the tractor to warm them.

Then there was the year that a bad T-storm blew all the tobacco down and my
dad, sister and I spent a couple of days standing it back up one hill at a
time in near 100 deg. temps.  Of course it always seems to get cold and
rainy the week you decide to set out tobacco plants in the spring.

Most of the time around here when the freezing weather comes there's no
farming going on unless you have livestock.

Charlie