[AT] Fuel cans and dispensing - ideas requested

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Nov 5 08:12:20 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "CEE VILL" <cvee60 at hotmail.com>
To: "new atislist" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 8:33 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Fuel cans and dispensing - ideas requested

> This will not be any real help to your situation, Carl, but the best setup
> I have used was a 105 gallon L shape tank in the back of the pick up.  I
> purchased from the old CT.  I did not want to spend for an electric pump
> for it.  I put  a new seal and hose on a hand crank pump that my dad had
> from years prior on a farm tank from Agway.

Charlie, good to hear I am not the only one still using an "antique pump"
for gas. Actually I don't use it a lot, just at swathing time when I have to
take a barrel of gas out to the field to fill the swather tank. Mine is the
hand cranked type and its best feature is that it is reversible. If I
overfill the tank, a quick few turns backwards will pull back the excess
fuel from the tank. My Dad used that same pump 50 years ago to fill up his
DC4 Case tractor.
For diesel I have a 100 gallon slip tank in the back of the pickup. It has a
newer lever type hand pump and has way higher output than the old rotary
barrel pump. A good feature when I am filling up 60 or 70 gallons a morning
during harvest.
Its cheaper than an electric and I figure the exercise won't hurt me.
Actually I  pump that fuel twice. First I pump it (by hand) out of the big
yard tank into the truck slip tank, then pump it a second time into the
tractor or combine out in the field.

Ralph in Sask.
(where the first flakes of snow are starting to fall)