[AT] Fuel cans and dispensing - ideas requested

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 5 06:33:39 PST 2008

This will not be any real help to your situation, Carl, but the best setup I have used was a 105 gallon L shape tank in the back of the pick up.  I purchased from the old CT.  I did not want to spend for an electric pump for it.  I put  a new seal and hose on a hand crank pump that my dad had from years prior on a farm tank from Agway.  This worked well for my needs at that time.  It took seven turns of the pump crank to pump one gallon on the meter.  I could park the tractors by the PU or the other way around.  The drawback was that it was not a sealed system, so I would loosen three bolts and lift the pump out to be replaced by a pipe cap on the stand pipe when I went to fill the tank.  At $ .60 +/- per gallon, I could afford to fill it as needed.

As the cost of gas exploded and my use declined, I stopped using the set up.  With the situations mentioned of taller tractors and heavier 5 gallon cans I am considering another new hose and going back to it.  It would not be necessary to completely fill the tank at one time.  The other obvious drawback is having the tank in the back of your truck all the time and it is not really compatible with a truck cap.  Not a good idea to have gas fumes trapped inside the cap.

Often lately I do as others have mentioned and transfer from a 5 gallon can to a one or two gallon to pour into the tractor tanks.  Slower that way, but easier on the aches and pains.  At four bucks a gallon, I really did not want much gas in any tank at one time for a thief to hit.  Same for the diesel in a couple of trucks that I use off road.

Charlie V. in WNY