[AT] Auto parts guys

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 4 19:18:25 PST 2008

On Nov 3, 2008, at 8:28 AM, pga2 at hot1.net wrote:
...I had a
> 1980 F250 pickup that ate clutches. It did not like the "stock"
> replacement diaphragm type,

I had a similar experience with a 1069 Volvo.  I'd adjusted the clutch
cable two or three times and went to the dealer for advice and maybe
parts.  Just as the parts manager was encouraging me to replace the
clutch, the maintenance manager overheard our conversation. He said it
might be the battery cable. "The WHAT?", I asked.

Turns out the battery is grounded to the body, and the engine has a
strap to the body.  This strap carries the starting current.  If the
connections there are loose, the clutch cable (one eighth inch
tempered steel cable) carries the current. It heats up. loses it's
temper and then stretches.

Sooo... for $40 in parts, plus a longer battery grounding cable to run
to the block, I had my solution.  NO thanks to the parts manager.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net
529 Cobb St.