[AT] just a novice plowing story

Bruce Moden brucemoden at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 28 04:15:25 PST 2008

Since we have about exhausted the plow information e-mails, and many of you are purchasing & restoring tractors such as Ford 8N's & Ferg TO-20's, maybe my story can save some time & embarrassment for other novices.

When I bought my farm 1976, I bought 2 tractors, a JD LA (cultivating- no hydraulics) and a Ferg TO-20.  For the 1st 2 years I hired another local farmer to plow for me with his big Massey.  Because, when I worked on the farms in my youth, I picked, hoed, tossed hay, & laid irrigation pipe, cultivated, but never plowed!  After the 2ND year he asked me why I wasn't plowing myself & I told him my Ferg wasn't powerful enough.  He told me it would do just fine, & he would show me how to set it up.  He hooked up my old Ford 2 bottom 16" plow, he then drove the rear left wheel up onto a concrete block & adjusted the plow so the bottom edges were level with the ground.  The 1st furrow was a little shallow but after that the old Ferg plowed real nice.  Had to tweak the upper control arm link to adjust the depth occasionally but I have plowed my own fields ever since.

Bruce