[AT] OT - big computer problem

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Tue May 27 09:15:54 PDT 2008

Mike wrote:
> Thanks Howard, The computer is only 1-1/2 years old, unfortunatly the
> disk that comes with the machine doesn't allow for repair only
> re-installation. I have an XP upgrade CD can I run the "repair"
> function on that without losing all my data. Quite a bit is backed up
> on Mozy, but many of my pictures are not :-0
>
> Thanks, Mike

You should be able to run the repair console in XP from the upgrade
disc. It sounds like you have either lost the MBR or the drive itself
has failed. Not real uncommon with todays computers.

What you might want to try is to hit a place like best buy and get a USB
hard drive enclosure that you can install your drive in. That should
allow you to run any repairs and backup the drive in the event the
repair console won't run.
I have a couple drives here that have failed sectors in the MBR area but
they work OK for file storage.

Of course you could switch to a mac, unless you actually need to run any
of the millions of software products that won't run on one...

--
Steve Williams
Firefighter,EMT, Fire Police