[AT] Diesel tax

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Thu May 8 08:00:55 PDT 2008

I stopped to get dyed fuel last night and noticed that the price was
only a few cents less than clear fuel.  In Missouri, road fuel is taxed
at 17 cents per gallon but there is no sales tax.  Off road fuel doesn't
pay the 17 cents, but pays sales tax.  Of course, as fuel prices go up,
so does the sales tax per gallon.

My point, it's soon going to be break even to get clear fuel, which I
can get 10 miles closer to home.  If prices go up much more, clear fuel
will be cheaper than dyed fuel.

This isn't to provoke another "my fuel price is" exchange, just be aware
that the percentage based tax may soon exceed a flat per gallon tax, at
least in my state of  Missery.....

I still wouldn't pull a chisel plow for 3 hours for $40 like my tractor
does  :-)