[AT] OT good kids singing/ now bs

H. L. Staples hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com
Sat Mar 1 19:03:32 PST 2008

> We have Tomato, Eggplant, Okra and Pepper seeds planted in the
> greenhouse.  Since we are not going to raise Potatoes, Onions and Cabbage
> this year the first thing we will plant in the field will be Sweet Corn,
> later this month.  The ground isn't frozen but sure is muddy
>

> Wish we had the Fair Tax.

Yep

  Was the decision to not grow potatoes, onions and cabbage a way to reduce
Labor requirements? The onions you brought to Portland were extremely
Attractive.
  We don't dare plant sweet corn in the open until about the last week of
April. Even then once in a while Jack Frost visits... Do you have to use
Row covers?

 You are correct the decision to drop some of the crop items were labor
related.  We are also dropping watermelons and cantaloupe,

A friend is into onion growing and utilizing some of his peanut equipment
and dryers to mechanize his operation. The plan is to buy Candy onions from
him.  Candy onions have been a starring item for us for several years.

In addition to the items mentioned earlier Cucumbers both pickling and
regular slicers and some varieties of summer squash will be seeded later for
transplanting.

Last year we had our early planted corn wiped out by freezing weather.  We
don't use row covers, probably should. Seldom do we have freeze damage on
the corn planted in mid March to early April.  We are looking at
transplanting some corn.  It is being done profitably in some areas,
according to one of our grower magazines that was reporting research.

We use wabble head sprinklers for frost protection on the strawberries.
Also we leave the old ferns on the Asparagus until the last minute keep the
ground from warming up when we have a few warm days in early March.

The Older and fatter I get the harder this farming becomes. All probably
more than anyone wanted to know.

H. L. Staples
McLoud, Oklahoma
USA