[AT] LASER DISTANCE METER_TRACTOR PULLING

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Thu Jun 26 07:56:51 PDT 2008

Joe,  I'm an appraiser.  If you are looking for a handheld unit this is the
industry standard for handhelds.
http://www.leica-geosystems.com/corporate/en/products/laser_distancemeter/lgs_5061.htm

Built by Leica.  They are called Disto units.  They shoot a very narrow beam
and are very accurate over distances up to about 600 feet.  There might be
some provision to tripod mount some of their units but I don't know for
sure.
If not you could strap it on top of a post.  Some models have a visable
lazer sight.  The problem you will have is making sure you are always
shooting the same spot on the sled.  So it might be good to mount it on the
sled and shoot back at a fixed target on the sideline.  Of course then you
have the problem of the sled not being exactly perpendicular to the track.
You might have to located a sight on each sideline too.

If you can't figure out how to do it with a handheld I'd suggest you talk to
a local surveyor.  They would know what works and what doesn't work.

Good luck.  I think I've been to your show serveral years ago.  If it's the
one I'm remembering it was a very good show.  There were 2 or was it 3
UDLX's there.  It's some feat to get three tractors that rare to the same
show.

Charlie