[AT] Fw: 350 u Was now helpers

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 28 20:50:13 PDT 2008

On Jul 28, 2008, at 9:12 PM, <oldiron62 at gmail.com>
<oldiron62 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes she is quite the helper Roy, A big three years old.

(Shorter reply than I had made up when my foot kicked the tenuous
power cord to the computer and dumped it all):

my 6-1/2 year old likes to type on the teletype machines I have.  I
did start up the tractor with her a few days ago.. soon she may be
starting it up by herself!

> Roy is the tractor your calling A W4 A 6 cyl tractor?  like A W40 ?
> Oh I
> would love to have A WK40

I don't know much about tractors yet, or what a WK40 is.

It's an International Harvester Corporation McCormick W-4.  Has 4
cylinders, I am pretty sure.  20+ horsepower.  Has:
- rear PTO
- plow with lift hydraulics
- no three point hitch - only drawbar on rear.
- cracks in rear tires, and chloride in the tires.
- 12 volt conversion electrical system (tin snips used to make new
alternator fit!)

I have LOTS of questions:
- I think a sand blaster is in order.  Hopefully a heavy duty
industrial one used (we also need to blast a big old fireplace.)
- I assume o-rings are available to fix hydraulic leaks
- what hydraulic fluid should I get to replace what's leaked out?
- pins in draw bar are bent (presumably by running over big rocks): do
I just whang them back more or less straight with the well known BFH
(big foolish hammer)?
- I got no manuals: are the I&T SHOP MANUALS from Intertec Publishing
Corp the best idea to start with?
- It has no roll bar: I'm not a hot rod, and the land we have is quite
flat.  Just the same, I'd think about a roll bar.  would the plow
frame support a top  piece big enough to be reliable?
- former owner used Lead Substitute in very imprecise quantities -
good idea?
- Should I use regular gas?
- I'd like to bush hog the 15 or so acres we have of grown-over
pasture (All grass and weeds, no small trees yet), though for now I
have a Cub Cadet with bush hog rear attachment.  Can I expect to find
a bush hog for the W-4 at any reasonable price?
- the rear tires are cracked (and have chains on for plowing).  Are
they likely to fail soon?
- what wire should I use to replace the old worn out stuff on the
thing now.
- any one in the Finger Lakes region of NY that I can apprentice with
to learn more about this thing?

oh the list will go on and on.

Roy Morgan
13033 Downey Mill Rd