[AT] Neat jack idea

hank at millerfarm.com hank at millerfarm.com
Sun Jan 13 18:40:33 PST 2008

There are two safe ways to use any jack of any type.  The first is to
know all possible ways the load could fall, and then physically place
everyone (humans, cats, dogs, cows, ...) outside of that range.   The
other, more practical way is to have good stable jack stands underthe
load.   If the load will go very high you may have to jack up a
little, put the stand in place, jack some more, add a second stand,
then jack, then adjust the first stand, until you get things high
enough.

Your cribbing is fine for when the jack itself fails to hold the load,
but the jack can tip.   Your stands have a base that will not tip
(Make sure your stands really are stable.   A log can be a good stand,
or it could be a bad one)

If I never again lose a friend because the jack supporting his
car/whatever fell over it will be all right with me.

Jacks are for lifting, use solid stands once the load is lifted.
This goes for any jack, not just the hi-lift type.

The bottom line is think safety.  So use your brain.