[AT] Now: PTO to Trailer

oldiron62 at gmail.com oldiron62 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 19:11:43 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Dotson" <gdotsly at watchtv.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] Now: PTO to Trailer

>    You all need to do some refiguring on the speeds this tractor would
> travel. PTO speed is only 550 rpm and with a direct drive to the rear axle
> on the trailer would be the same. A 50's Chevy six cylinder would turn
> about
> 2800 rpm to go 50 mph with a 4.33 ratio, so, 550 devided by 2800 gives
> approximately 20 percent of the speed of the truck or about 10 mph. Bigger
> tires or a higher ratio may bring it to 15 mph. Not an unreasonable speed,
> even way back when.
>    Course, maybe he had another transmission mounted backward for
> overdrive, then all bets are off.
>
>                            Gene

The tractor that I was reffering to 880 Oliver has the pto shaft running to
a roller chain sprocket.  That runs the driveshaft below it, and the
sprockets change the gear ratio to where the tractor really has to work when
bumped out of HI. Then the PTO engaged and on but from a dead stop it
wouldnt move. The thing is geared to fly but only on good straight roads.
I know they followed it doing 50+ mph.
Myself would be afraid of any type hill that would surley be on the way. It
would be fun shifting back into gear 1/2 way up a big hill :-)
No overrunning clutch, the engine is part of the braking system.

Kevin