[AT] quiet list

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Thu Feb 21 16:53:04 PST 2008

--On Thursday, February 21, 2008 4:14 PM -0600 Ralph Goff
<alfg at sasktel.net> wrote:

> Yes, those high wheat prices reflect an actual shortage of wheat. World
> stocks of wheat are at their lowest in years. I'm hearing talk of wheat
> and  durum prices in the $15 to $20 per bushel range south of the border
> from me.  Of course we aren't allowed to sell ours there and won't get
> anywhere near  those prices. Still much better than I've seen in years.
>
> Ralph in Sask.

	I have seen more wheat planted here this fall than I have seen in some
time. Of course we don't grow the same stuff as the plains. We only grow
soft red winter wheat. While it would make bread most of it goes into
pastry flour. I don't have any wheat planted and the fellow that rents most
of my grain ground didn't plant any here either. I don't know if he grows
any on other farms or not. Many farmers here only grow the "CBF" rotation
of crops. That is Corn, Beans and Florida...   :-)
	As almost always freaky happenings in one crop also affect others. In this
case the rush to grow as much corn, soybeans and
wheat (along with drought) has raised hay prices waaay up. Hay field after
hay field has been plowed up for grain. Oats which have been the poor
relation in the grain game for a long time are also waaay up as livestock
feeds go missing.
	I can give you a good market tip... Since I am jumping headfirst into
growing a lot more hay this year hay will be worth slightly less than road
kill by fall...   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson