[AT] quiet list(wheat prices)

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Feb 21 18:50:28 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Francis Robinson" <robinson at svs.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 6:53 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] quiet list

> I have seen more wheat planted here this fall than I have seen in some
> time. Of course we don't grow the same stuff as the plains. We only grow
> soft red winter wheat.> "farmer"

I predict we are going to see a lot of acres planted to wheat this spring.
There is an air of optimism in Canadian grain farming that I have never seen
in almost 40 years of farming. Mainly due to these huge price increases for
the crops we grow. For the first time I can remember, any crop we choose can
show a profit this year . With stocks very low and projected demand for huge
quantities of wheat for the ethanol plants, not to mention canola for the
crushing plants, there is a good chance these prices will last for a good
while yet. Canola has doubled since last summer, flax has nearly tripled the
$6 per bushel that I sold for in the fall of 06.
I'm not too sure just how long this ethanol/biofuel idea is going to fly.
Opinions vary but some say that using ethanol from grain products does not
really make sense economically or environmentally. We burn a lot of fossil
fuel growing, harvesting, and hauling to market, those bushels of grain to
be turned into fuel.
An old saying that many of you have probably heard, "The cure for high
prices is........high prices"
Interesting article on "sky high wheat prices" here....
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5h6NmAqWmkD5b7ExVGyrtkmqLkLWQ

Ralph in Sask.