[Steam-engine] Indicator

Francis Orr steam.boat at verizon.net
Fri Feb 15 13:29:10 PST 2008

Rick,

That is a great website on the indicator. However, one thing it doesn't tell
or show, you need to take TWO cards, one for each end of the cylinder unless
you have a single acting engine. The normal piping on a large engine has a
cock on the indicator steam line that lets you select one end of the
cylinder or the other.

You asked about valve setting. I will have to dig up a piece of video for
you about an engine in Brooklyn. It was a generating engine and the load had
decreased to where it was only the elevators (DC) and the engine had gotten
very very noisy. An old engineer was called in and after taking indicator
cards, he reset the valves and the engine quieted right down.

In another case in Pearl City, Hawaii (Pearl Harbor area) the sugar mill
there wanted to up their output but weren't sure if the engine on the cane
rolls was up to it. After running indicator cards, they found that they
could get a couple of hundred more HP out of it and up their production.

Francis A. Orr