[Farmall] Oil Viscosity ratings

Kurt Musgrave rvar at plainstel.com
Wed Dec 24 07:50:09 PST 2008

General anti-wear hydraulic oils are still rated using the ISO viscosity
grade.  Here is a link to Co-Op's spec sheet for their Indol hydraulic oil:
https://www.chscomm.com/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_8988_5491_0_0_18/I
ndol_010305.pdf
You'll will notice at the bottom of the sheet a chart with all the available
grades and ISO numbers.  Viscosity is also given on this chart using cSt and
SUS ratings.  Using these numbers we can compare viscosity with other oils.

Transmission Hydraulic (Hy-tran and others) are not generally rated using
ISO viscosity grades.  According to the spec sheet online for Hy-tran Ultra
it's SUS rating at 100F is 208 which puts it just under an ISO 46.
http://www.viscosityoil.com/pdf/P13_24.PDF

I've also included a viscosity table I saved long time ago.  It will show
you comparisons and help to understand different ratings:
http://web.newsguy.com/farmall/images/viscosity.jpg