[AT] cold weather vehicles

Bruce Moden brucemoden at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 23 17:36:42 PST 2008

We had a 1937 Packard in the days before permanent anti-freeze, used alcohol & the low temp. thermostat, it never created enough heat to keep the passengers warm, my dad installed a "Sun" heater under the dash that actually burned gasoline, worked well, but still didn't defrost the windows.  The motto of long rides was always "don't anyone breath on the windows!"  Of course with 4 kids in the car that was the 1st thing you did.
In 1958 I bought a Volvo PV-544 (looked like a 1940 ford 2 dr sedan) & it had a window shade device that operated by a chain under the dash & the shade would go up in front of the radiator & warm it up fast - don't leave it up too long or it would overheat -I guess the Sweed's knew about cold weather driving!  Mu 1931 Chevy coupe still doesn't have a heater, none came as standard equipt.