[AT] Was Tractor hauler product--now foreign parts

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sat Dec 20 07:21:02 PST 2008

 About your engine--try Tom Underwood--he advertises in Antique Power. I
think he is in Lawrence, Kansas. Deals in lots of engine parts dating from
the '20's. Also, I think the Gibson (about the size of a Farmall M)  we
rebuilt a few years back had a Hercules. I believe some forklift
manufacturers used those engines.

Regarding foreign parts---there is a light hope (though it is dim) Cecil .
The fact is the Chinese cannot and will not build the same quality as we
Americans. We had a job pulled from us at work that went straight to China.
I oversaw the production of these parts for 1 1/2 years. We were never late
on delivery and NEVER had any deliveries scrapped out. The job went to China
because they could make the parts for less than our raw materials cost.
Those same parts are now coming to the US with a 40% scrap rate. Once you
figure in delayed shipping of completed product and worry about what the
inspectors did not find that will fail once in service, the bean counters
don't seem to have the bargain they thought they did. Time will tell.
Wake up America!!

John Hall