[AT] Now Portland

David Rotigel rotigel at alltel.net
Mon Dec 8 22:19:48 PST 2008

>    I share the frustrations of you and Farmer in not being able to
> secure
> an assigned area for our tractors. Every request I have made has
> always been
> answered by "rope off an area in the tractor area and put up your
> sign". The
> tractor area is nothing but one row after another in the hot sun with
> nothing to lure people there. I have repeatedly told the tractor
> directors
> that we would be interested in bringing more tractors and displays
> if we had
> a committed area closer to the main attractions.\
>            Gene Dotson
>            A.T.I.S.,  Camping Wagonmaster

Hi Gene,
	That's EXACTLY what the ATIS Engine guys have done for about 12/15
years now--AND IT WORKS! We get there at the area we want at about
5:00 on Friday morning. We then sit around that area until 5:00pm when
we can drive posts in the ground and thus "stake out our 'claim.'"Yes,
it takes time and Bob, Leroy, Brandy and others need to be thanked for
sitting all day in the sun/rain and snow (not really snow--I just
added that) but you get the idea. What that area provides is a meeting
and showing place that all of the ATIS engine guys can enjoy to the
fullest. Since there is very little shade we bring various sized
canopies to ward off the sun's rays. (See: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Portland08/Portland08ATISMenu.htm
  ) These pictures show what we have at the show grounds and what we
do for the ATIS Charity Auction while at the show. Spencer, Brice and
Gene hang some with the engine guys at the show and usually attend the
auction. Several other tractor guys do so as well. We (ie the engine
guys) really would like it if more of you tractor guys would come to
the dinner and support the auction. (Last year we raised almost
$3000.00 for charity at the Portland dinner! The first few years it
seemed to work, but now there seemd to almost be a boycott against the
ATIS dinner up at Out Back in Decatur on the part of some. Lets give
it an ALL TOGETHER IN 2009 and see if that helps things a bit for you
tractor guys.
	Dave