[AT] Now Portland

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Mon Dec 8 19:39:02 PST 2008

    I have stated before and will again. Portland is more of a reunion than
just a tractor show. Those of us who return every year, more to greet old
friends and make new friends, than to just ogle a lot of tractors and peruse
the 65 acres of tractor and engine parts for sale.
    When the daily show winds down on the fairgrounds, we gather in the
campground to socialize or go into town as a group for a community evening
meal. We will be working on projects at the campers that someone bought that
needs work or one someone has brought along for some extra expertise and
fine tuning. Heck, we even replaced an in tank fuel pump on one of our
member's truck once. Just to watch the variety of Butt buggies touring the
campgrounds in the evening is very intertaining.
    Before I started attending, I had no idea of the size and scope of all
the activities going on there. Someone who just attends the daily show and
leaves misses out on the largest part of the gathering. There are people who
come in and camp a week and half before the official show starts. No one
gets bored unless they choose to be. Before I retired, this was a must have
week for my vacation. I have met and become very good friends with many
members who post to this list.
    Yes, the officers and directors know how far people travel for the show.
There is a lighted map next to the registrations building. It shows all 50
states along with Canada and Mexico plus U.S. territories and several
foreign countries. Yes people come from England, Australia and New Zealand
plus a few other countries. Most of these are lighted on the map at show
time. Early arrivals also volunteer their time to get the grounds ready for
the show. Erecting fences, marking exhibit areas, cleaning the grounds and
jobs even I can't imagine.
    Once a member has joined our group for a week, it becomes a must do
event. No other way to explain it than "you just gotta do it"

                    Gene