[AT] 12-volt conversion

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Dec 6 04:24:50 PST 2008

I completely agree with Bob's comments and would only add that, if your
tractor has an ammeter, the wires need to be swapped to get the correct
charge indication with negative ground. Generally speaking, if you buy a
"reconditioned" or "remanufactured" starter at an auto parts store, they
will have a box of assorted pulleys behind the counter somewhere - get
the smallest one you can, as your JD engine turns over MUCH slower than
any car engine. On the last conversion I did (on an IH tractor), I
discovered that the old Delco-Remy generator pulley fit on the new
Delco-Remy alternator, which was good news. Generally speaking, the
hardest part of the conversion will be fooling around with the mounting
brackets to get the pulley lined up with the engine pulley. If you don't
them them lined up exactly right, the belt won't last very long. I have
been spending the extra few dollars and buying a "universal alternator
mounting bracket" from "T.H.E. Company" <www.the-co.com> and modifying
the adjustment arm with the help of a big hammer and vise. I find that
mounting the alternator sometimes requires a different size belt, so
don't get hung up on using the original belt - you may have to buy
several different size belts, try them, and return the ones that don't
fit. Most shops won't mind, as long as you keep the unused ones looking
nice and clean. An image of an alternator and mounting bracket I did on
my Farmall 340 can be seen at
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/farmall_340/340_upgrade_09.html>

Nobody has mentioned the wiring. If your JD has a cutout or voltage
regulator, you can actually use that wiring in the new installation -
just run the "Bat" wire from the alternator "bat" terminal and splice
that wire to the wire going to the ammeter from the regulator/cutout.
What I do is just use a small nut and bolt through the two wire
terminals and put some tape or shrink-wrap over the splice for
insulation. That way, should anyone want to "restore" the tractor, they
can just undo the connection and put everything back. I also keep the
old generator and regulator in the box the alternator came in for the
same reason. (That is only one reason my barn is so full of Stuff!) If
you voltage regulator has an "L" terminal (lights), you are going to
have to run that connection to either the ammeter or some other "hot"
connection in the charging circuit. I have converted a JD 40 and MT but
never an A or B, so I can't help with specifics.

Mike