[AT] 12-volt conversion

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 06:56:24 PST 2008

www.natauto.com
carries a one wire conversion alternator w/internal regulator that
unless things have changed also comes with an instruction sheet for
conversions.
-
My 1946 Allis C charging system has only been intermittently
unreliable since about 1948 but I think I will stay original with it.
Some years ago we put on a kit that was a regulator rather than a
cut-out but it only worked for a few years. I had also converted the
light/charging switch to operate the rear plow light and tail light
separately. I will put it back original and go back to a cut-out.
It still has the original starter on it since it was new and I think
it is time to replace it, I believe it has some windings shorting
through the wire enamel and has lost strength. I also have a ground
connection with a heavy crimped on lug that for some reason tends to
get weak. I am going to replace that ground with a woven strap like
the original.
Right now it has a broken brush spring in the generator. I think
National Automotive in Shelbyville carries those. I can get about any
little rebuild parts from them (one reason I keep going back).
-
One thing that you can do if you don't mind the non-original
appearance is to run external ground wires rather than depending on
the chassis ground. That can be a very effective way to brighten
dimming headlights. You can also run a heavy ground cable from the
same bolt as the chassis ground to the battery to one of the starter
mounting bolts so that there is a copper ground all of the way from
the battery to the starter.

--
"farmer"

"Good clean muck never hurt nobody!!!"
Morris Moulterd

Hay and Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)