[AT] coyotes

Bill Bruer bill_bru at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 3 18:57:09 PST 2008

Around here, in middle TN, daytime activity by coyotes is not abnormal.
They do mostly prefer the night but we see them during the day fairly often.
When we purposely hunt them we usually do it either just after daybreak when
they are ending their night's hunt or at approaching dusk as they are coming
out to hunt.  However, the first coyote I ever saw was in early afternoon of
a hot summer's day and it showed no signs of being sick in any way.

I've taken coyotes while tedding hay around 8:00 in the morning.  They were
out hunting mice etc. in the hay or, in one case, just running & playing.
They don't associate the machinery with humans and will virtually ignore the
tractor.  I'm able to go back to the house for the gun, come back to the
field & drive into easy range, then stop the tractor & get off to shoot.
The tractor in this case is a Farmall 200 so I'm clearly visible, not hidden
in a cab.  I know people with cab tractors who just keep a rifle with them
at all times for the coyotes.

They are opportunists that will eat just about anything given the chance.
When they've got plenty to eat they generally will avoid humans.  When they
are hungry they are not afraid of humans, buildings, or much of anything
else.  I've seen one take a newborn fawn away from the doe.  Before I fenced
our yard they would come right up onto our porch at night in spite of the
big collie dog we had then.  However, they do not mess with the Great
Pyrenees dog we have now.

Bill Bruer
Murfreesboro, TN