[AT] coyotes

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Wed Dec 3 12:50:23 PST 2008

Bruce Moden wrote:
> Here in Western New York State, I have noticed an increase in coyotes
> over the last 15 years since we moved on the farm full time.  I don't
> know much about them except the stuff you hear & read, mostly that
> they are nocturnal and howl.  My recent experience was with a rather
> large coyote walking across my from lawn about 10 AM (full daylight),
> not too concerned about my being there, we just looked at each other
> for a while & the coyote retreated into the brush. The other morning
> about 8 AM (again not dark) when I went out to get the newspaper they
> were up on the hill next to our house and were yipping like a bunch
> of little lap dogs.  I have heard that when they show signs of
> behavior changes that prehaps they are sick/rabid, etc. how true is
> that? I have noticed that when the barn light (dusk to dawn) is not
> on over night they will come down nearer the house.  Neighbors have
> aske me to keep the light on so they won't come down & bother thier
> dogs at night, does anyone have any info on thier response to light?
> Our county drops rabies vaccination squares (like large chunks of
> feed, with a biodegradeable label) to keep the rabies down in
> racoons- does this work on coyotes?  I sold my goats & horse so I
> don't have any livestock to attract them but they seem to like us for
> some reason, but we do have lots of ground hogs & turkeys, but I have
> heard a healthy turkey will get the best of a coyote. My main
> question is on the behavior changes that I have noticed. Bruce

Daytime isn't normal behavior, BUT being hunting season they may be
moving around to avoid other hunters, or tracking wounded deer that got
away from the hunters.

Lights MAY keep them away until they decided that something in that
light is what they want.
The best deterrent is rapid lead poisoning.

Yes they carry rabies, and they can pass it easily as well. I carry a
pistol when I go out at night or if we get called for a S&R out in the
woods.

They don't like loud noises either.

--
Steve W.