[AT] Thanksgiving Day tractor chores+trees

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 07:53:19 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Roy Morgan <k1lky at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2008, at 7:08 AM, Indiana Robinson wrote:
>> Back when I was still grain farming I used Anhydrous ammonia to get
>> rid of groundhogs.
>
> Farmer,
>
> Pardon my being not familiar:  Is anhydrous ammonia a kind of powder
> or granular dry stuff?  Sounds like it got mixed with some water as
> you dosed the hole.
>
> Seems like whatever it is, a dose of it down each ground hog hole
> would  make a very unfriendly atmosphere in the burrow.  I remember
> from when I was a kid a smoke bomb, some burlap bags and a shovel for
> the dirt being used to deal with ground hogs.  Maybe the smoke bomb
> made sulfurous smoke that created sulfuric acid in the lungs of the
> hapless ground hogs.  I think Geneva conventions or something outlawed
> that kind of thing in warfare among people.  No doubt OSHA had done
> away with those smoke bombs, too.  As with the purple poison-laced
> granular sugar you could get to beat the flies in the barn.
>
>>  Ground hogs are no longer a problem here, I haven't seen one for
>> years. Coyotes ate all of them...
>
> No doubt you are inclined to be very helpful, but please do not send
> any Coyotes here for us to use on the ground hogs.  heheh.  (we have
> sheep)
>
>  Roy
>
> Roy Morgan
> k1lky at earthlink.net
> 529 Cobb St.
> Groton NY, 13073

=============================

It is a gas compressed to a liquid under hih pressure much like
propane It is used as a soil injected nitrogen fertilizer. I never did
like working with it and quit using it altogether some years ago and
used slightly more costly but safer to handle forms of N in its place.
Here is a site with a MSDS with some general information. Read the
"Emergency treatment" section.
-
I don't know about other areas but here most coyotes will not bother
sheep even lambs. When we had about 80 ewes we never lost a lamb to a
coyote. We did lose a few to a mother fox. Most coyotes here eat mice,
voles, moles and large insects like grasshoppers and a few rabbits.

--
"farmer"

"Good clean muck never hurt nobody!!!"
Morris Moulterd

Hay and Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)