[AT] Thanksgiving Day tractor chores+trees

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Mon Dec 1 07:52:36 PST 2008

Roy, I know you addressed this to Farmer but I just happen to be at the
computer as the message came in.
Anhydrous ammonia is ammonia that is compressed into a liquid but becomes a
gas at normal atmospheric presure and temp.   Corn farmers inject it from a
liquid nurse tank into the ground.  This is done with a small hose or tube
that runs along the back side of a chisel.  Several of these small chisels
are pulled a few inches underground with a tractor.  The Anhydrous permeates
the ground.  Somehow or another it works the same way for the corn as
Nitrogen.  Someone else will have to explain that too you.  As far as the
effect it has on a gopher, open a bottle of household amonia and take a good
deep sniff right out of the top of the bottle.  Now multiply that by about
100 or so and imagine that is all you have to breath and you'll get the idea
about how the gopher feels.

Charlie