[AT] Old tractors and hay

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Wed Oct 10 18:25:18 PDT 2007

We ran a 7 foot JD sickle behind a Super A for years. Actually the pair were
bought new at the same time by a neighbor. Interesting to note so many of
you have used big tractors for sickle mowers.

If you are looking for a sickle mower, go for an IH balanced head/ belt
drive--no pitman to break when mowing banks.

As far as spectators and hay, I notice far more people are interested in the
hay baler than the other equipment at our clubs show. I guess more folks can
relate to baling since it was so labor intensive and hired help is more
commonly used than in threshing and shredding (combining).
We used to have one guy running the combine, 2 driving trucks, and 7-11
baling, hauling and packing straw under the shed.

John