[AT] Old tractors and hay

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 19:22:44 PDT 2007

One of the last times I used my IH H & 7' IH #200 mower, I noticed with todays heavier, fertilized grass hays, the side draft was way more than I recall.  With the tricycle front end on the grass, the mower wanted to pull the front end to the right on hilly ground.  In the md 70's, a lot of people went up to 9' bar mowers, before moco's took over.  I picked up a used JD (I think model 1000) 9' balanced head mower a few years ago.  It may not take 50 HP to power it, but it takes about that to overcome the side draft. It was setup for large frame tractors, I had to take it apart to fit my smaller tractor, basically just move the head left about a foot.

Len Rugen