[Farmall] oil pressure

birddog cvill at frontiernet.net
Sat Nov 24 19:29:57 PST 2007

Hi Bob,

As previously mentioned, My  1930 10-20 came to me with a 100 lb.
automotive op gauge installed by the po.  That was the same as no gauge,
because the hand hardly moved.  This last summer, I took the gauge from
my 1927 10-20 and determined with air pressure that it is a working
gauge of around 10 lb. capacity.  I tried it on the 1930.  Every time
the engine was started, it would peg that gauge at the top and stick it
there.  I would have to remove the gauge and tap it to release the
hand.  This would occur even with a fully warmed engine.   At least that
told me the 1930 has acceptable pressure.  At that time I found a new 30
lb. capacity gauge that threads into the oil filter as on the regular
and F-20.

Not being the proper mount for the 10-20 dash panel, I left the 100 lb.
gauge in the dash for looks and unhooked the line at the filter where I
installed the 30lb. gauge (temporary set up).   The in dash gage is not
really visible from the  seat, so nothing is lost there.  When off the
tractor, The working gage in the filter can be easily read through the
hood louvers.

To make a long story short, the 1930 operates from around 12 - 15 lbs.
Either someone has messed with this tractor to increase the pressure, or
a change in operating pressure was made between 1927 and 1930.   ??????\

P.S.  I also tried a new 60 # gauge but it was too much range to get a
trustworthy reading.

Charlie V in WNY