[AT] TD6 Trackloader timing problems. Where is TDC

Spencer - ATIS yostsw at atis.net
Tue Nov 6 21:15:59 PST 2007

Sorry for the delay in replying, but Denise's laptop is on the fritz and
she is using mine.

Here is the latest:  I followed Gene's and Jake T's advice and
found....  My timing was dead on.  This was unfortunate as I had really
hoped it was something as simple as timing.  I removed the manifold to
see if it obstructed since the gas portion of the manifold uses smaller
passages that I didn't check when I had it off the first time.  Also a
previous owner had drilled a hole in the intake pipe right above the
manifold, presumably a port for starter fluid, and thought maybe mud
dauber had obstructed something.  That's when I found I had pinched a
spark plug wire between the manifold and the gas-to-diesel manifold
linkage and the the intake manifold was nothing mating perfectly.   So I
tried again and I get some pops!   So I my problem was a minor fresh air
leak and using WD40 as starter fluid.  IN short, I was fighting an
uphill battle on the air-fuel mixture side of the engine equation.  The
spark side was OK.  Also, my battery is an Autozone Valuecrap and needs
charging after just a dozen or two starting attempts so I don't get to
test for long.

The timing can still use some work as I only get some pops and wuffs and
doesn't spin the engine a rev or two like you would expect with ether.
More importantly though, the carb is clearly not working, as it will
only pop on ether.   It doesn't pick up any fuel at all.  When I took
the carb apart this weekend and cleaned it I realized the carb was
probably shot.  The fuel adjustment lever was broken off and someone
clearly munged up the inlet tube(the tube to the draft chamber at the
top, not the inlet where the gas tank line attaches).  By the way, they
are a top draft design as fresh air enters the top and then leaves out
the venturi, also in the top.  They are interesting little carbs, but
clearly designed to be merely adequate.

Still needs work, but I think with a good carb I may get this thing started.

Thanks for all the help.   I'll keep you informed....

Spencer