[AT] Potato planting time again...

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Sun Mar 18 22:15:33 PDT 2007

Well, yesterday was the start of potato planter operating for the season
again, after manual planting (dropped by hand, but furrowed and covered by
tractor) early last week. Getting back on the tractor and pulling the 1950's
vintage two row planter with virtually no skips, putting in the red, purple
and yellow potatoes sure felt good. This was especially true because I was
pleased at how nicely the silty clay/silt loam worked up in almost all parts
of the field. Also, it was listed with my 1930's/1940's John Deere Killefer
pull type iron wheel lister pulled by our 1953 Allis-Chalmers HD-5. On the
other hand we ripped with my 1997 New Holland four wheel drive NH6610. The
moisture content of the soil and the soil temperature were PERFECT for rapid
emergence.
    We have had about 50% of normal rainfall for the season. Can you say
lots of irrigation will be needed this season???? Oh well, farming is always
a new challenge. But hope springs eternal especially in the spring. So far
this season we have had the worst frost damage in the winter in well over 30
years and the hottest March on record. Hmm.
        Grant Brians
        Hollister, California