[AT] Farmall M transmission locked up

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Sun Jul 29 00:10:42 PDT 2007

Another failure mode that can cause transmission lockup - and one that I
experienced a couple of years ago - is a worn shift fork -

Moving the gear shift lever from the Neutral position into any of the gear
positions should cause one - and only one - of the three shift rail fork
combinations in the M transmission to move forward or backward which in turn
causes one of the sliding gears to move forward or backward on the sliding
shaft and engage a fixed gear on the counter-rotating shaft.

Conversely, moving the gear shift lever from any gear position back into the
Neutral position should move the same rail fork combination in the opposite
direction which in turn should move the sliding gear back off of the fixed
gear.  However, if enough wear has occurred on the fork it may no longer
engage the grove on the sliding gear sufficiently to pull it back off of the
fixed gear.

In this case when you move the gear shift lever into the Neutral position
you may think you are taking the transmission out of the gear it was in but
the sliding gear remains engaged with its' mating fixed gear.  Then when you
move the gear shift lever into another gear position the appropriate shift
rail fork combination will move another sliding gear onto its' mating fixed
gear and you are then in lockup.

Hopefully the problem with the M Bill is addressing is the problem Mike has
addressed.  The fix to the problem I've outlined is painful - you've got to
change out or repair the forks and that means you've got to get inside the
transmission.

Dudley
Snohomish, Washington