[AT] Farmall M transmission locked up

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Jul 28 03:37:29 PDT 2007

This is actually a pretty normal situation. What happens is that the end
of the shift lever gets worn and permits it to slip between two of the
shift "forks". what you need to do is remove the three bolts holding the
shifter in place on top of the transmission. It comes straight out. Then
you need to use a large screwdriver or small crow bar to force the three
forks to be lined up in a row (that is the neutral position). then you
just stick the shifter back in and bolt it up. '

The problem is that you need to restore the proper profile to the end of
the shifter -  a flat taper that is wider at the bottom than the top.
Unless you have another tractor's good shifter for a pattern, it is hard
to guess at the shape. So what I have done in a similar situation is to
use the welder to build up the end some and then test fit the shifter. I
use a bench grinder to remove and shape any excess material. It is only
the very end of the taper that gets worn, so you don't need a lot of
material. Unfortunately, the new material won't be all that hard (unless
you heat it up with a torch and quench it in oil), so it will wear down
again.

Mike