[AT] Spam> Re[2]: Hottest tractor

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Fri Jul 20 00:01:39 PDT 2007

Mercy,

The mention of not wearing shorts near a hot transmission reminds me of two things.  First, wearing thin-soled shoes on a tractor did not work too much better than barefoot in a Missouri July.  Second was a mistake that I only made once.  Although I hardly ever wore shorts on the farm, one day I was driving a car with a pair on and came across a friend who waved me over and asked for help for a minute to move some equipment that he could not move easily by himself.  When I got out of the car in about 98-degree heat, I soon needed to move a tractor with a solid metal seat (cushion rotted and gone) in a hurry to get it out of the way. Think it was an old Farmall. When I plopped down on that slick, butt-polished, contoured, sun-heated seat, it felt like a hot stove.  Guess I had figured the shorts were long enough to cover my legs over the seat.  Wrong!

Remember how quick you plopped down on tractor seats when you were a kid?  If you share many of my genes, in your mid 40's the nice padding behind you silently pulls a dirty trick without warning. It migrates clean around to permanently surround your belly button, even though it functioned and looked MUCH better in its original position. Darn.

|_____/    \  ~ Chuck Bealke ~ bealke at airmail.net ~
( )       \__/             http://www.plowsong.com