[Farmall] F20 questions

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Fri Jan 19 07:08:10 PST 2007

John,

The first thing you have to determine is what is it worth to you.

If you're just looking for a rusty old tractor to pull logs out of the
woods and don't care about having to add oil every now and then, then you
shouldn't be willing to offer anymore than a few hundred dollars for a
tractor that has four wheels and runs most of the time.

If you're planning on doing a total restore and showing it at fairs and
meets, then you probably what to spend more for a tractor that is clean,
has all the required parts, and won't cause you to have mortgage the farm
to get it to where you want it to be.

I always try to get things for as cheap as possible, realizing I've got to
spend more getting it fixed up.  Figure out what it would take to get it
back into the condition you want it to be (money and labor), subtract that
from what you think it would be worth when you're done, and that should be
what you should offer.

Keep in mind that the guy who is selling it realizes that somebody is
going to offer less then what is being asked for. With that in mind he
probably raised the asking price so he get talked down to a lower price,
but still get what he really wanted. You're under no obligation to simply
fork over the asking price. You have a right to make an offer, and have it
rejected. If it's rejected, leave the guy a phone number, and tell him to
call you if he changes his mind. If the tractor sits there long enough,
and he doesn't have any other offers (or offers as high as yours), you may
get a call.

Meanwhile, spend a Saturday or two driving around looking for sales and
attending local auctions. You should be able to get a taste of what things
are going for and in what condition.

Before I bought my first tractor, I spent a couple of months looking at
tractors in the local papers, stopping off at ones that were parked on the
side of the road whenever I was going someplace. In one case I saw a local
junk yard park a somewhat sad looking 9N with a front loader in their
front yard ( I was on the way to work and didn't have time to stop and
look at it). I was building a new house and needed something to backfill.
When I got to work, I called the junk yard and started to ask a few
questions apart the tractor. The guy said he had numerous calls on the
tractor already and if I was interested I should stop by on my way home
from work since he was pulling the asking price and was going to auction
it off that evening to the highest bidder. I passed on the offer.

I eventually ran across an ad in one of the local papers for a '50 Cub
with "some attachments". When I called the number, the lady who answered
the phone told me as much about the tractor as she could (it belong to her
deceased brother-in-law), and was apologizing to me because the tractor
had some minor rust and the seat cushion was torn. I went to see the
tractor and made the deal on the spot. I got the Cub, an IH mowing deck, 2
sickle bars (one red, one multicolored), a plow, a grader blade, a set of
cultivators, 3 spring tooth harrows, 2 sets of rear tire chains, a box of
various IH accessories and spare parts.  The lady's husband spent almost
two hours with me in the barn looking for anything that was painted red or
even looked liked it belong on a tractor to throw into the deal. All for
$2000. It ran from the get go and needed no work on it what-so-ever.

If I hadn't decided to shop around, I would probably have picked up
something else for more, gotten less, and wouldn't have found the Cub.

Hope you didn't find this too long winded.

Carl Szabelski

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.