[AJD] Model L steering box

John Boehm rustyacres at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 14 10:09:23 PST 2007

Brad and Duane-

I have  placed a detailed photo of the L/LA steering
box bearing on my website, the link is
http://vintagetractors.com/whatsit.html   It  is hard
to get an exact diameter because the metal retainer is
a bit wavy due to the way it is crimped around the
balls, but here is what I measured with a micrometer
in inches, then converted to mm (25.4 mm per inch):

Inner diameter of retainer: 0.90 inch or 23 mm
Outer diameter of retainer: 1.50 inch or 38 mm
Height of retainer: 0.315 inch or 8 mm

If I am measuring correctly, the dimensions are
different than what you found for the #42 bearing. I
googled #47 ball bearing, but did not come up with
anything  pertinent.

John Boehm
Woodland, CA
Visit my web site at http://vintagetractors.com