[AT] was: Huge Auction/computer question. Now: Adobe, Economy

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Tue Jan 2 15:41:39 PST 2007

There are a lot of differences in the Adobe Reader versions.  Version 4 is
pretty archaic.  Adobe only currently supports version 5 or later.  Version
6 seems to work fairly smoothly.  Version 7 has the bug that the French
security team discovered.  Version 8 seems to work very nicely.  I've seen
it referred to as the "legal version" of Adobe Acrobat because of all the
special things it does that are particularly well-suited to use by law
offices.  I had a long talk with my SIL (an attorney) last night about Bates
numbering and a whole range of security issues for selectively protecting
files to prevent (or allow) viewing, commenting, printing, and modification
by clients, other attorneys, court officials, and the general public.   It's
not a simple problem.

Since version 8 Professional is the first package to allow bidirectional
conversion from word-processing, spreadsheets, photos, HTML, and multimedia,
to PDF and back, it has some "very nice" features for those of us who are
trying to do digital archiving of such things as tractor photos, original
tractor company publications, and other tractor-related materials including
voluntary tractor registry.  For instance, you can generate a fillable form
as part of an email, have people fill out the form, return it, and
automatically compile the responses into a spreadsheet that is completely
searchable and indexable.

FWIW, I'm working on generating a fillable form for compiling information on
two particular models of Power King tractors with the intent of putting
together a spreadsheet that contains all the features and variations of
these tractors so that as they are repaired and restored the differences may
become recognizable and the progress of the design can be established.  I am
looking in particular for owners of early Economy tractors (including
Country Squire, Power Queen, Power King, and other related brand names) that
came from the factory with either the chain steering or tiller steering
configuration.  These will have serial numbers in the 101-1500 or the
mid-4000 ranges.  If you own a tractor meeting this description, I would
appreciate receiving word (OFF LIST) of the serial number and the name of
the owner.  Please send any replies to rlgoss at evansville.net.

BTW, this is a fairly small group.  At the present time, there are less than
40 still known to exist.

Larry