[AT] STP

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Feb 25 17:12:32 PST 2007

Larry D Goss wrote:
> We've been around and around the STP question on another tractor list.
> We're not concerned about using it in engines as much as we are for
> transmissions.  If you look through the writings that the company puts
> out, they don't recommend anywhere that it be used full strength.
> Somewhere in the material, they say to use it at a maximum strength of
> 50%.  What I'm doing is mixing it half and half with 80-90 hypoid oil.
> It does wonders for quieting noisy gear trains.  I'm using it as a
> substitute for a special blend that includes STP, gear oil, and
> Bentonite.  One of the concerns of using STP in cold climates is the
> problems of flow at low temperatures. Apparently that's one of the
> reasons for the 50% maximum concentration level.  Don't ask me what the
> real blend is supposed to be.  It's one of those trade secrets like the
> recipe for Coca-Cola.

Larry, as I recall STP it only recommended adding a container which if
memory serves me was about half a pint? at oil change. That would be
fairly low percentage in a 5 quart engine but still enough to have some
benefits.
I recall many years ago adding STP to an engine in winter time and it
was so stiff it would not even come out of the container until I heated
it up on the stove.

Ralph in Sask.