[AT] STP

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sun Feb 25 12:05:07 PST 2007

We've been around and around the STP question on another tractor list.
We're not concerned about using it in engines as much as we are for
transmissions.  If you look through the writings that the company puts out,
they don't recommend anywhere that it be used full strength.  Somewhere in
the material, they say to use it at a maximum strength of 50%.  What I'm
doing is mixing it half and half with 80-90 hypoid oil.  It does wonders for
quieting noisy gear trains.  I'm using it as a substitute for a special
blend that includes STP, gear oil, and Bentonite.  One of the concerns of
using STP in cold climates is the problems of flow at low temperatures.
Apparently that's one of the reasons for the 50% maximum concentration
level.  Don't ask me what the real blend is supposed to be.  It's one of
those trade secrets like the recipe for Coca-Cola.

Larry