[AT] oil pressure

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Feb 25 12:08:16 PST 2007

Thanks to all for the input and ideas on stp and oil pressure on my
tractor.
Phil, this Cockshutt 40 has a true mechanical gauge, no sending unit but
a steel line carrying full pressure oil right to the gauge on the dash.
Its the kind of thing you sort of get used to , seeing the gauge at a
certain reading all the time Maybe not noticing a subtle but sure
decrease as time goes by. Suddenly one day it is enough of a difference
from the norm to start me wondering if I need to take action. Or can
these old engines run a long long time on low oil pressure?
True, thick oil on start up is not a good thing in our cold weather.
Even though the old engine will start fine it may take a while before
that cold thick oil gets up to all the places that need lubrication.
I guess I am thinking of the theory of additives like stp that leave a
protective film on engine surfaces to provide lubrication when the oil
is not there yet.
I do have several options including the spare Cockshutt 50, although it
has developed a thirst for oil in recent years.
I also have #30 and #15w-40 oil on hand that I use in the newer (summer
use) tractors.
And of course I probably have enough spare 6BA230 engine parts to build
up a whole spare engine if I have to.

Ralph in Sask.